Friday, May 21, 2010

Fine Dining









As previously noted, Kandahar Air Field has six DFacs (dining facilities):

Far East: The closest to our MOD (modular housing unit/home), an easy walk (no streets to cross) and my "go to" DFac when I just need fuel. There's always a long line for the fresh stir fry, with two choices daily (chicken, beef, pork or turkey). Of all the DFacs, this is the one where I most get chased down, chatted up, hit on or asked out (not necessarily a good thing).

Niagra/The American DFac: It's the second closest to our MOD, the biggest and has American food. I like it, but my co-workers are not fond of the ambiance, so I don't go there with them.

Cambridge/The English DFac: There's a sign outside that says "Fine English Cuisine;" I thought that was an oxymoron. (Sorry Jen.) The food is actually not horrible. I don't go to Cambridge too often because there are not a lot of Americans (although there's some darn cute Brits), they have a curry bar so the place smells like curry, and I sometimes don't know what I'm eating. I've had hoke (some kind of fish), courgettes (looks and tastes a lot like zucchini) and numerous other items that I have to see before I'll eat. However, my main complaint is that they don't have water with gas.

Harvest Falcon: The best food, strangest set-up (see pictures) and most challenging. I especially like breakfast because they have turkey or chicken sausage and cereal in boxes. However, before you walk through a big tent to get your food you need to wash your hands using a foot pump. The large fridge in the back has a sign that says "Milk/Non-Fat Milk/Banana Milk/Strawberry Milk/Chocolate Milk," but every time I open it I find that it's filled with lukewarm boxes of low fat milk. After you get your food you need to walk through a semi-covered rock/sand trail to one of four tents to eat. So first you exit the food tent through plastic slats, then walk on the bumpy path and enter another tent through the door and over a threshhold. It took me a few days to figure out that I should take two cups and fill them halfway with coffee instead of filling one cup all the way, so I wouldn't end up with more coffee on my tray than in my cup. Also, the picnic tables we eat on were "custom" built, so sometimes I sit inches from the floor with my arms held high, other times my feet are dangling while the table hits me in the chest and occasionally I have enough space to fit a person or two on my lap. But the food is pretty good.

North Line: The DFac for the flightline. It's about 20-30 minutes away by car, depending on traffic and if we're driving behind someone following the speed limit (20 km/h). It's mostly American food, seems airier than the other DFacs and is open 24/7, serving sandwiches and other cold foods between meal times. We did have difficulty getting in one day. Even though Joan was wearing closed shoes, toe-cleavage was visable through the design and the gate keeper insisted that she get a "take away" box. After intense discussion, the manager finally allowed her to dine with us, but now Joan wears sox when we go to North Line.

Luxembourg/Candadian DFac: My favorite. It's pretty close, the food is good, the hours are great, they have water with gas, I understand most of what's on the menu, usually the air conditioning is working and since Luxembourg is located next to the garrison/command cell, it's the DFac with the most brass and the only place I've seen a two-star general.

There's also a few restaurants, although you never know when they're going to be closed for repairs, out of food, or temporarily shut down due to lack of running water or recent cases of food poisoning. I went to Mama Mia's for a dinner meeting this week. They don't have water. I couldn't get tap water, or bottled water -- still or with bubbles.

Considering the above, one would think I'd be wasted away to nothing. Fat chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment