Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 12, 2009 - In Country

Met with Jonathan at 8:00 a.m. to get me situated and run some errands. Also met Terry who is here to start up the USO in Baghdad. Terry is retired military from Raleigh, NC where his wife is behind selling real estate. Terry graciously took the rear so I could ride shotgun next to Jonathan. We went in the dustmobile from base, to base, here to there, back and forward again, where I was picked, prodded, fingerprinted, photographed, interrogated and analyzed. Got my status mostly straighted out and obtained a CAC (military ID) card. Turns out Terry was not so gracious. Driving with Jonathan is a cross between Magic Mountain and a Wes Craven movie. I sat in the front with my teeth in my cheeks and my fingernails in the upholstery, while Terry settled into the back seat with his iPod. I learned some new words and a few new ways to use those words. I discovered that the phrase "douche bag" can be used as an adjective, noun, verb and expletive. Also I was checking out the other cars and told Jonathan that I hardly saw any women driving; mostly men. He told me that I should be careful because if a man in a car caught my eye he would think that I wanted him to follow me home and he would indeed do that.

We got to Camp Virginia about 5:00 in the evening where I was introduced to some of my fellow workers, met my roomate and given a tour of the camp. Ended up working for 2 hours since the USO was pretty busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment