Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just Call me Super Woman

Today is Friday, February 27th. I think my first paycheck comes today. Yesterday I had "one of those days." I didn't work out so after I used the computer I walked back to my "apartment" to read. The electricity wasn't working on our pad (in our "complex") and since one of our war-lockers is in front of the window (acting as a curtain so people can't see in) it was dark in the room. I tried to sit out on the step to read, but since it's wire that was uncomfortable so I just went and took a nap. Woke up at 1:00 which gave me just enough time to make it to the DFac for lunch. About 1/2 way over to the DFac (6 minutes into a 10 minute walk) I remembered that I did not bring my CAC (ID) card. Remember: NEVER go anywhere without your CAC card; so I walked back to my room and then walked back to the DFac for lunch. I walked back to my room and discovered that although my key worked I couldn't open the door. So then I took an 8 minute walk over to Command Cell (the administration building) and told them about my room. Then I walked back and waited for maintenance (Doyle and Greg in a golf cart with boots) to open my room. By then I was almost late for work, although I did manage to walk fast and arrive on time. Today is the day my roommate Ritz is leaving so the girls from Buhering came over and we took a car to get her stuff out of our room. Since the car was then full I walked 6 minutes back to work. The schedule called for me to work by myself between 1800 - 2200 which wouldn't have been a problem except at 6:30 all heck broke loose. GI after GI after GI walked through the door. It was like a flood. Joe had been in Kuwait City so he brought me really, really, really good Persian food for dinner. I took 10 minutes to eat in the office and then back to work. I carried boxes of water into the USO and loaded the water fridge, probably 1200 bottles of water, so by end of shift at midnight I was exhausted. Walked back to room, went to sleep and now working at 0800 this morning. Let me run through this again: I really wanted this job. J/K. It's all fun, the troops are fabulous and very appreciative and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. Let me know how you're enjoying yourself too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bonnie, Your descriptions are wonderful! We can picture all your shenanigans and enjoy each post. Things are okay here in sunny Southern California. It was 87 degrees here on this last day of February. Looking forward to your next installment. John and Sydnee

    ReplyDelete