Monday, April 5, 2010

Home Like Home

Arriving in Israel was incredible. Since the flight from Amman was so short (20 minutes), we cruised at 9,000 feet and could see all of the land as we flew into Ben Gurion Airport. Shani had warned me that I might have some challenges with Immigration since I was coming from Kuwait. As it went, the officer checked my passport and said, "You're name is Bonah???" "Yes," I said. He looked again, waited a few seconds, then said, "What's your name???" I responded, "Bonah." He gave me the "That's Not Really a Name" look and I gave him the "What Can I Do About It Now?" look. I said, "My parents were halutzim." He said, "OK. Good-bye," and off I went. The whole exchange took about 20 seconds.

Ra'anan, Ayala, Shani and Carmel picked me up at the airport and I fell sobbing into their hugs -- tears, red eyes, weird noises, snot -- the whole thing. I was so happy to be home with family in Israel.

We went to the mall in the evening so I could buy some sandals.

No comments:

Post a Comment