Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kuwait to Kandahar



As I’m looking forward to the next challenging phase in Afghanistan, this seems like a good time to reflect on my past 14+ months at Camp Virginia. I’m going to miss our small-town atmosphere, the gracious permanent parties, the transient troops and TCNs who so courteously do so much yuck work on base; I’ll miss Reveille, To the Colors, Taps, drills for Incoming and Ground Attacks. (Or maybe I won’t miss those; the same, only more so, in Kandahar.)

At Camp Virginia I’ve learned new things: Chrystal Light in my back pocket feels like a knife in the butt; I’ve picked up some good habits: praying before eating, washing my hands a lot; and I’ve collected some bad ones: toothpicks. There have been some surprises: I don’t curse any more than I did before I came here. I’ve met personal challenges: prevailing over some fears and recognizing that sometimes change is good. So far I have kept the promise I made to myself that I would not eat any donuts. I have travelled more these past 14 months than I could ever dream. I know too much for a woman my age about Call of Duty, Halo and Madden. I’ve discovered a lot about the USO, the people I work with and myself. I didn’t get to see Bo’s graduation from USC and I’ve missed my family, friends, apartment, Golden Spoon, meetings, KY&L and contiguous plumbing more than I can imagine. I met some wonderful, caring, fun and fabulous people who I hope will be friends for many years to come.

I am genuinely surprised by my growing appreciation for our US troops. Before I became a Duty Manager with the USO I had an infatuation with the military. Now I know with absolute certainty that our US troops are the most talented, kind, caring, intelligent, fun, patriotic, loyal, well-prepared, dedicated, hard-working and humble ladies and gentlemen on the planet. Words do not express my admiration and respect for the men and women who are the gift of our American Military.

No comments:

Post a Comment