Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back Into the Sand

Our return to “real life” went smoothly. We took a cab from our hotel to the Metro. Bo got off at Arc d’Triumph so that he could take the bus to the Girona airport. Leorit and I got off at Placa de Catalunya (the next stop) so we could catch the bus to Barcelona Airport, Terminal 2. After saying good-bye to Leorit I then got on the bus to Terminal 1. While going through emigration I was in line behind John & Lisa, Mary, Gail and Jeff, the friends from Sacramento that we had met on the Rome excursion. I got to hang with them for a few minutes since they were leaving at exactly the same time I was from the very next gate.

It’s Ramadan and Muslims are not allowed to eat or drink during daylight. I was going into a Muslim country (Turkey) and then flying on Turkish Airlines to another Muslim country (Kuwait), so I was very worried that they would not serve any food or drinks on the plane. Fortunately meals on the plane were just like they were when I started my trip (before Ramadan). I did see a lot of men wearing white (looked like towels). I assume they were coming back from their pilgrimage to Mecca.

Christine and Mike* fetched me from KWI at 0200 (thank you!) and deposited me and my very heavy suitcase at my doorstep. I had done my laundry and cleaning before I left and was very much looking forward to returning to my clean sheets and sparkling CHU. Of course the floor, my cabinets and everything in my room was covered in dust/sand. The spiders were so happy with my return that they had a welcome home party in my bed. Now I have bites and I’m itching everywhere.

*We are not allowed to leave base alone. Anytime we go off base two people must be in the car. Really a pain when we are so short staffed and the flights (like mine) are arriving in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment