Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Long Shot

While waiting in the Istanbul airport I bought People. In the magazine is the story of a driver who, when going the wrong way on the highway, caused an accident that killed four children and four adults. I wrote a letter to editor but it keeps bouncing back because their e-mail box is full. I'm copying it here because I just want to get the idea out:

Subject: Diane Schuler - August 24, 2009
Regarding yet another horrific accident killing numerous people because a car was going the wrong way on the freeway: is there a good reason why we cannot put barriers with one-way spikes at the top (closest to freeway) side of the off-ramp -- just like in a parking lot exit -- so that cars going onto the freeway from the wrong way have the tires blown out? If emergency vehicles need to enter at the exit of the freeway they can have a remote control to roll the spikes into the ground. Inexpensive, simple and only slightly disruptive way to save many lives.


I also sent the letter to CalTrans. Thank you for indulging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment