Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Be-Bopping Along




Lynn and I went to Camp Buehring the other day to order a cake and pick up supplies for a bar-b-que. We set off in the early afternoon. Down the road we came upon a military convoy which we determined must also be going to Buehring. However, after we and the convoy made the first right turn, the convoy took the next right while we continued straight.** "We just need to look for the radio tower and then turn left," Lynn told me.

We be-bopped along, chatting away. We saw quite a few flocks of sheep, a couple of herds of camels and even one goat herd. Amazingly, there are a few small flowers in the desert and the ground has a very thin film of green as a result of the recent heavy rains (see my post "Lake Camp Virginia"). We continued to joke, chat, gossip, and laugh.

"Are you sure we're on the right road?" I asked.
"Oh, yeah. Absolutely. I'm sure."

We kept going like this, be-bopping along for about 15 more minutes, until we finally came to a tower.

"I don't think that's the radio tower," said I. "That's the lookout for the border."
"Do you mean the border with Iraq?"
"Um, yeah. I think so."

SSSSSCCCCCRRREEEEEEEECCCCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!! (U-TURN)

I guess the convoy was going to Buehring.

We retraced our route, got to Camp Buehring, and managed to finish all of our errands, although it was long after dark when we returned to Camp Virginia.

**There's a double right turn on the road to Camp Buehring. It works when you're going there, but on the return trip you make two left direction merges directly into oncoming traffic. To proceed, you must cross two lanes, with traffic coming from the right and the left. There are no indicators or lines on the road, just one "merge" sign at each intersection. It's amazing to think that someone intentionally designed this connection. I'm pretty sure it was Dr. Jack Kevorkian.

No comments:

Post a Comment