Tuesday, July 13, 2010

KYL HK












Since I had to fly from Xi'an to Beijing to catch my flight to Hong Kong (see previous post), the wake-up call for my last day in China was at 0500. Yeah, that 0500. The cab driver took a route to the airport that I had not previously travelled, where we passed through neighborhoods that were not officially authorized to be seen by foreign visitors.

I was upgraded to Business Class on the flight from Beijing to Hong Kong which I thought was a stroke of good luck until I realized I was sitting in a row with a woman wearing a head scarf and her three sons, ages (I'm guessing) 11, 9 and 4. The boys were running all over the plane, standing, squirming, complaining and screaming the entire flight. Obviously the lady didn't realize there were other passengers on the airplane. It wasn't so bad that I didn't enjoy the extra leg room, wider seat, better meal and more solicitous service. I was also surprised to find that a trip that takes 3.5 hours in Economy Class takes only 2.25 hours in Business Class. I don't know how they do that, but it's true.

Jon Zinke, our partner in Hong Kong, had arranged for a car and driver to greet me at the airport. He took me to Jon and Ellen's flat, where I made myself comfortable in the gorgeous surroundings with spectacular view until Jon and Ellen arrived home from work.

Hong Kong is one hoppin' city. It's beautiful, clean, organized, has great public transportation, lots and lots of brand new high rise office and residential buildings, very little corruption, wonderful shopping and almost everyone speaks English. I visited the office where Betty showed me the new 40th anniversary KY&L watches. Alas, I wasn't there ten minutes before they put me to work.

The last evening Jon, Ellen, Betty, her husband, Kinmon(sp?) and I had drinks, watched the nightly light show and ate an amazing dinner at the Royal Yacht Club.

Jon and Ellen are spectacular and gracious hosts who have showered me with gifts and are treating me like visiting royalty. They are fun, kind and generous . . . and they have indoor plumbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment