Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Kneed Assistance

I apologize for my negligent reporting as of late; there's too much of nothing to write about and even less going on. Our USO had been averaging 120-150 visitors a day (800-900 is normal; sometimes we get 1100+).

The lousy thing is that I injured my knee (I have absolutely no idea how) on January 17th and it still is not right. Consequently I am uncomfortable, slightly drugged and hobbling everywhere. It takes more effort to make it through every day, so after work, all I want to do is stay still.

The saga goes like this: I went to the gym; everything was fine. I walked to the DFac; everything was fine. After I finished my lunch I started to stand up and my right knee hurt so bad that I nearly tumbled over. Why the Face???

Later that afternoon I hobbled to the TMC (Troop Medical Center). They gave me Motrin but since it was Sunday and after sick call, they would not treat me. I limped back on Monday so they could examine, poke and prod. My knee was definitely swollen and tender, but they could find nothing wrong. The next week I shuffled back to the TMC and still they could not find anything amiss, joint-, cartilage- or tendon-wise.

Scott and Bettie drove me to Camp Buehring to see the physical therapist. Even though I had an appointment, the PT was in a meeting so all they did is evaluate me and then make a PT appointment for me at Camp Virginia for three weeks hence. When I showed up for that long-awaited meeting at Camp Virginia I was told that the PT had gotten lost coming from Camp Buehring, my appointment was cancelled, and that she would contact me to set a new time and date. When she did call, she said they did not have any space for me the next week so she would fit me in two weeks later.

I've been to the TMC quite a few times and obtained different prescriptions, none of which seemed to help. Everyone in the new group at the TMC has been really nice and very accommodating, but even with X-rays, they are unable to figure out what's wrong. I don't get it either. My knee doesn't necessarily hurt more when I walk on it or less when I keep it elevated. Sometimes the pain awakens me at night and sometimes I have no pain at all for hours. Every single doctor, corpsman, PA or PT that I saw said that it was OK to walk around the base; not one recommended a bandage, brace or crutches.

Eventually I gave up on the TMC and took a trip into the International Clinic in Kuwait City (see separate post).

I'm discouraged and embarassed. I feel like an old biddy hobbling all over base and everything I do takes extra effort. I'm exhausted from feeling sorry for myself.

So now you know why I haven't written. Say along with me: "Ugh."

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you are having such difficulties Bonnie.... I will say a prayer for you..... :o}

    ReplyDelete