Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not Late to the International Clinic

Since my knee difficulty was going nowhere fast at the TMC and Bettie had previously been to and recommended the International Clinic in Kuwait City, I finally bit the bullet and decided to make an appointment. The IC is popular with American military contractors and other American ex-pats, so they have a (sort of) English speaking receptionist. I made my appointment, and asked her for the address of the clinic. She said the Clinic is in Salmiya (a suburb) on Mohammed Al Mubarek Mohammed Al Bumbum Mubarek Al Mohommad Bumbum Street (or something like that) behind Something Something Something Tower and that since my appointment was at 12:30 and they were closing at 13:00 I HAD BETTER NOT BE LATE. I asked her again for an address, but she just reiterated that she did not know the address, could not or would not give it to me and I HAD BETTER NOT BE LATE.

I spoke with my contractor buddy Dan and he drew me a map to the Clinic. My other contractor buddy Ray said Dan didn't know anything, so Ray also drew me an entirely different map to the Clinic. Both Dan and Ray said it would take about 40 minutes once we got off base to get there.

Thank heavens Lynn consented to drive me (I don't like driving in Kuwait and it really hurts my knee and we're not supposed to go into the city alone). We thought we should leave early, just to make sure I WASN'T LATE. We got in the car at 10:00 a.m. It took us 10 minutes to get gas and 20 freakin' minutes to go through ECP
(Entry/Exit Control Point). (Note: We were trying to get off base.) Our drive to Kuwait City/Salmiya was uneventful. Our tour of Kuwait City/Salmiya Salmiya/Kuwait City Kuwait City/Salmiya was ridiculous. Even with both maps we could not seem to find Mohammed Al Mubarek Mohammed Al Bumbum Mubarek Al Mohommad Bumbum Street. Finally, at 12:10 we saw the Ruby Tuesday's which is across the street from the Clinic and in back of Something Something Something Tower and we located the Clinic. We still had to find a place to park.

I checked in at 12:20 and was directed up the stairs to the second floor (which is actually the third floor) where I saw the doctor right away. He told the nurse to take me downstairs to X-ray. The nurse swiftly led me down two flights of stairs to X-ray and then hurriedly brought me back up the stairs to the doctor. The whole time up and down and up the stairs I'm thinking "Did you miss the part where it says I'm here for a sore knee?"

The doctor looked at the X-rays, said there was preliminary evidence of arthritis and told me he wanted to give me injections, one a week for the next six weeks. He directed me down the stairs (I'm serious) to the pharmacy, where I picked up my magic vial and then speedily went up the stairs so I could get my shot before they closed at 13:00. To the doctor's credit, I guess the nurse told him she was in a hurry because she wanted to leave at 1:00 and he told her that if she was rushed he didn't want her to help. He wanted someone who would be patient.

Anyway, the doctor sterilized my knee with three coats of iodine (not a good sign) before I received a very uncomfortable shot to numb my knee so that the actual shot wouldn't hurt too much. It did hurt; I cried a little. We're going back to the doctor for shot No. 2 next week. I can hardly wait. I won't discuss if my knee's better, because I don't know. I do know that the visit cost me close to USD 400. That really hurt; I cried a little.

After the doctor we went to pick up some supplies for the Center and then I tried to take Lynn to lunch. Fortunately/unfortunately a Kuwaiti guy (Noaff) at the next table was asking Lynn for her phone number and wanted her to go on a date with him. She didn't give him her number but he paid for Lynn's sheesha and both of our lunches anyway. It seems to me that Lynn is always meeting guys, but she says it's only when I'm with her. Isn't that just wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment