Saturday, March 20, 2010

Three Coins in the Fountain





CSM Anderson*, LTC Papile and MAJ Jones made a special trip to the USO yesterday to present Bettie, Lynn and me with Command Coins. Receiving a coin was one of the highlights of my service here at the USO. I was also given a coin at the Tennessee bar-b-que. Most often it is placed in the officer's palm and then handed over quietly in a hand shake, without anyone's knowledge. When the Colonel from Tennessee gave me their coin I started to cry. (Not a very military-like reaction.)

Coins allow military members to show their pride in their command. Just about every command has its own coin. A coin can be obtained in two different ways: A general coin is available to the public, and can be purchased by anyone. A more specific coin can be earned, usually by more seasoned military members, or by an exemplary act or achievement.

The tradition of command coins began during World War I. A rich lieutenant had coins made of bronze which he gave to everyone in his squadron. Shortly after receiving the token, one of his pilots was captured by the Germans. The pilot had placed his coin in a small pouch around his neck. The Germans removed all of the pilot’s identification to dissuade him from trying to escape. The pilot, however, got away and made it to the front lines. It was here that French soldiers had him pegged for an enemy until he showed them the coin. One of the Frenchmen recognized the squadron that the pilot belonged to, and therefore he was not executed. It became tradition for everyone to wear or keep their command coin on them at all times.

I'm not wearing my coins around my neck, but I'm keeping them to remind me that our efforts are appreciated by the people we most admire.

*CMS Anderson was taking the pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment