Saturday, July 18, 2009

Incoming Again; It's All Bad

Today was my day off. I slept really late then went to lunch. At lunch somehow we started talking about Israel. One of my "friends" was saying that before World War II Europe all of Europe wanted to get rid of the Jews because they pretty much owned everything. It was all I could do not to get up and walk away. After lunch I watched “Role Models” and the first season (10 episodes) of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

After dinner, I checked my e-mails and then decided to take a walk. It’s pretty dark on base at night, but at least the temperature has cooled down to the low 90s. I walked all the way to the PX, inspected around there a little and then started back. When I got to the main cross street I walked across camp. I saw hundreds of really interesting-looking, battle-ready trucks and tanks (I wish I could take pictures to show you) and I passed a couple of 15-vehicle convoys. One area that I passed smelled like a cesspool. I saw one guy who looked like he’d been running, but now was walking. As I passed him I asked him if he was the one who made that smell. He said it couldn’t have been him since he just took a shower last week. I laughed and said that it must be me who smells then.

About 5 seconds later there’s a siren: “Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!” I’m supposed to stop and drop where I am, but it is all gravel and dirt so I walk over to what looks like a bus shelter. Then I hear “KA-BANG!” The guy is still walking so I yell to him that I think we’re supposed to hit the ground. He says, “Yeah, you’re right,” and comes over to sit with me in the shelter, which actually isn’t a bus shelter, but a bench next to a small back-board with nothing over it. Then we hear again, “Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!” . . . and . . . “KA-BANG!” We sit and talk for about 15 minutes until the “all clear.” He’s a really nice Navy guy named Aaron. He’s from Pittsburgh, but lives with his wife and two-year-old daughter in Coronado. After the “all clear” I walked back to the USO to tell them that I’m OK; then I go back to our living complex and call the Mayor’s Office to tell them everyone from the USO is fine and accounted for. For sure I'm not taking walks after dark any more; from now on I'll use the treadmill.

On the way back I saw some ambulances and fire trucks. I loitered outside with some of the Army and Air Force people and then went back to my room. After I’d been here about three minutes there was an announcement that all personnel are to wear full safety attire (flak jackets and helmets) at all times until further notice. Two minutes later there was another announcement for all personnel. I couldn’t hear it clearly, but I think it was something about remaining on full tactical (red) alert until further notice. Helicopters are patrolling in the sky. It sounds like LBPD.

The next day we found out that three soldiers had been killed and one critically injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment