Friday, July 10, 2009

Sleeping in the Dorm with Oliver and Annie




After two nights of sleeping on chairs in the terminal or trying to sleep on the floor of the USO I found out that I could ask billeting for a room. The transient accommodations are dorm-like tents with about 20 beds. When I arrived at Q3 there was only top space available. I bought some sheets and a pillow at the PX, borrowed a blanket from the USO and made my bed. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to lie in it. My new friend Carolyn in the bunk below gave me permission to step on her face, but even that didn’t help. Patty thought we could put my mattress on the floor, but then we noticed that even though there was a blanket on one of the bunks with a duffle bag underneath, no one had seen anyone use it for three days. So I took over the vacant bunk, and slept like a baby for 8 solid hours (except one trip to the bathroom).
We were not allowed to turn off the lights at any time (safety reasons). The odd part was you’d get to know someone and then you’d come back to the room and all of their stuff would be gone. I felt like an orphan or a puppy at the pound. “Where’s Gay?” “I don’t know.” “Maybe she got a flight.” Wow. She must have gotten lucky. She was adopted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment