Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Welcome to Iraq

Last night, around 0400 there was an alarm and announcement. I couldn’t hear it too well, probably because we’re surrounded by barriers, but what I could understand was, “Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!” I wasn’t too scared because I feel protected where we are and I didn’t hear any noise except the announcement. However, I was pretty pissed because now that I was awake I really had to pee and my razor-sharp instincts told me this probably wasn’t a good time to venture out of my bunk. It turns out there were three rockets fired at our base, but they were not too close to us. After about 20 minutes there was an all clear so finally I could use the bathroom.

This afternoon I was accosted in the bathroom at Basra airport. My friend “Mary” and I had gone to pick up the contractor who was flying in from Kuwait. I tried to use one bathroom, but it was closed. The next one had some women and children in it but one side was completely flooded and the empty toilets were filthy, disgusting and gross. When we walked to the terminal area, I asked Mary if maybe the restaurant upstairs had a bathroom. She said she didn’t know, but there was another sign pointing to toilets, so I followed the arrow and went into the ladies’ room. Even though the bathroom was empty, some of the stalls were locked. I was in one when I heard someone come in and then a male voice say something. I said, “Hello.” The guy said something back. I wondered if I had stepped into the men’s restroom. When I came out this young guy, he looked about 20, wearing blue service overalls without any insignia, was talking to me in Arabic (I guess) and trying to take my hand. I took my hand back to wash it. While I was washing my hands he kept talking to me. Of course I couldn’t understand what he was saying, but I definitely was not getting a warm fuzzy feeling. After I washed my hands he tried to grab me and I pulled away. I was very confused. I went to walk out, but he blocked me. Then he started taking off his overalls, pointing to his naked chest. I started to walk out again, he tried to stop me, but I pushed past him and went out the door.

When I got back to Mary she was speaking with a man. I started to talk and she shushed me because he was talking. I said, “I just got accosted in the bathroom.” The guy she was talking to said the airport was not really a safe place for two women so he waited with us until our contractor showed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment