Thursday, October 22, 2009

Home to Here



The last days of my visit were relatively uneventful. I got to shop at Target with a birthday gift card from Lori M. and JoAnne H. Didn't get to Nordstrom's. I remembered why I do not miss Los Angeles area traffic.

Flights back to Camp Virginia were uneventful. At LAX I chatted with Joy and Harry, a retired couple who spend their time traveling and with Chris and Lori. Chris is active-duty Army and really likes the USO.

I hung out at the Dulles Airport USO with about 10 active duty service members and volunteer Cindy. The USO was preparing for their weekly “Honor Visit.” Apparently veterans are given free trips to Washington DC to see all of the memorials. There was some commotion about bringing oxygen tanks to their buses, so I’m guessing these were military during WWII. The USO at Dulles has a display on their wall with coins given to them by their visitors. I think we should get one of these at our USO at Camp Virginia.

I made it back to Kuwait about 30 minutes early; safe and sound and well before midnight. My room has a thick layer of dust/sand, but no matter. Covering the day shift starting at 08:00 tomorrow. It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment