Saturday, June 13, 2009

Put Another Candle on the Birthday Cake**






We had another going away party for the remainder of the 2nd MEB on Friday. It was actually for Labaran's birthday, but we couldn't tell him that. There was even an appearance by the highly elusive S.Sgt. Kessler. (He's in the back, next to Labaran, behind my right shoulder in the picture.) Labaran had made big plans to celebrate his 30th with is family and then he ended up staying here for a few extra weeks, so we had cake for him. I think he was only slightly surprised.

The rest of my TC4ME Marines from 2nd MEB are here for another 8 days, finished with their work, bored silly out of their minds with nothing to do. So I suggested they build us an office in our loft. Sgt. Wise works in his dad's construction company and claims to be a carpenter so he immediately started taking measurements and making plans. Now there's a ton of plywood up there. So do you understand why I like these guys so much?

The weather continues to be . . . It poured again yesterday, for about 20 seconds. One guy came into the USO and his shirt was drenched. Next thing I know, it's completely dry outside, no sign of water anywhere. It's been in the mid-120s. Do you know how when you open the oven to check on a cake and the heat hits you? That's how it feels when I open my bunk door to go outside. I think it's actually singeing the hair on my arms.

I went to the gym 7 out of the last 9 days! It's not a heavy work-out, but at least I'm there (thanks to ST). Where do I register for ROCK STAR?!?!


This conversation is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile:

Me: Here. Somebody left this measuring tape for you.
Sgt. Wise: Just put it in my hat [sitting on the counter] over there.
I'll pick it up when I leave.
Me: That's funny; you call it a hat. Why don't you call it a "cover"
like all the other Marines do?
Sgt. Wise: Do I look like freakin' crock pot to you?

The 2nd MEB is almost complete out of here. No more writing about them after they leave. I promise.

**Do you remember Sheriff John?

No comments:

Post a Comment