Saturday, June 27, 2009

It's Been a Sad Week

I was talking to one of my co-workers the other day and mentioned that Ed McMahon had died. He went on a diatribe about how celebrities really don't mean anything to us and he doesn't know why we care and there are much more important things to care about, etc., etc. Maybe I do get too wrapped up in some strangers' lives (I get my “news” from People Magazine), but I learn a lot too.

I’m sad that Paul Newman died. Besides being a lot of fun to watch in movies and wonderful to look at in pictures, I learned that talent and beauty does not necessarily make a person happy. Paul Newman had many flaws and was as fallible as any other less gorgeous mortal, but he used his gifts to help a lot of people and bring a lot of joy to the world. He had a great sense of humor and I laugh every time I see his Cesar dressing on the shelf at the grocery store. Although I never met Paul Newman and didn’t know him personally, when he died I felt like I lost a hero and a friend.

I’m sad that Farrah Fawcett died. The first time I saw her was on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine (I’m pretty sure this was before the “Charlie’s Angels TV show). I thought she was so pretty, and I stared at that cover for a long time. I wondered in my mind what it would be like to have a flawless body and perfect hair, skin and teeth. In reality, I think she really was a nice lady, but, as with Paul Newman, I learned that every physical blessing will not bring good luck. Even before Farrah died I discovered that a flawless exterior does not make a perfect life.

I’m sad that Michael Jackson died. I know he had enormous financial, moral, ethical, legal and personal troubles, especially the past few years. I know he had way too many enablers, doctors, hangers-on, yes-men and lackeys. I also know that Michael Jackson had staggering talent and that his songwriting, singing, dancing, acting and choreography brought delight to many, many, many people in all parts of the world. What a hideous waste.

-o0o-

I saw the notice on the door of the library when I went to return a magazine; all members of the 100th Battalion, 442nd Infantry were not allowed inside until further notice. By the time I returned to the USO (about 45 seconds later) we also had the sign posted on our door. Inside a sergeant was at the front desk asking if he could go through our building and remove all soldiers from the 442nd. All the wireless Internet at Camp Virginia had been shut down, but the library and the USO have hard-line connections. Just like back in February, this squad was cut off from all communication with the outside world. The terrible news was that there had been an accident on convoy in Iraq where a vehicle had overturned and crushed a soldier. The soldier who was killed was 23 years old and had visited the USO many times.

Camp Virginia is a largely transient base. A lot of the troops we see at the USO are pretty happy because they are on their way home. We have McDonald’s and Taco Bell, movies, carnivals, pool tables, poker tournaments and volleyball games. Sometimes being here feels like summer camp. It’s not.

No comments:

Post a Comment