Thursday, June 18, 2009

Welcome to Your Home Away from Home




One of the things I like best about the USO at Camp Virginia is that it's so "homey." We keep the neon lights shut off and use area lighting. There are a lot of couches, pillows, easy chairs and it's ok to eat and put your feet up. The pictures show some of the guys just hanging. That certain Corporal may look like he's deep in tought typing on his computer, but he's actually sound asleep and remained so for many more minutes.

The other day I walked by one of the TV areas. One of the troops was laying on the couch with a pillow and a blanket. (The AC is out of control so sometimes it gets pretty cool inside the USO. The troops love using blankets to keep warm while they're watching TV or a movie.) This guy had his arm hanging out with the remote in his hand and was just laying there channel surfing on the TV. Looks more like home than deployment to me.

The same day I passed another troop laying on the couch watching a movie with a bunch of people. I swear it looked like he was almost sucking his thumb. The next time I passed I saw that he had pulled the blanket up over half of his face. I'm sure I know what was happening under there. I doubted what I saw until I mentioned it in the office and Chemetrie said, "Oh yeah; that big Army guy? He was definitely sucking his thumb last night."

Bettie says that we're not trying to be people's living room, we're hoping to be their den or family room. She's so right. I absolutely LOVE it when the troops feel so comfortable and "at home."

No comments:

Post a Comment