Sunday, June 21, 2009

United Through Reading






One of the best and most important programs at ours and almost every USO is United Through Reading (UTR). In the past we had done about 40 UTRs a month, but with Bettie at the helm, promoting, ordering supplies and keeping our books up to date, we now do approximately 20 per day (although today, Fathers' Day, it looks like we've done about 50 so far). Steve is a huge fan of U-T-Ahhs. (He's still looking for an R.) The way a UTR works is that the mom/dad/uncle/aunt/grandparent/soldier picks a book and then reads the book to his/her son/daughter/niece/nephew/grandchild while we record on DVD. The soldier can then send the DVD home to the child along with the book so the child can read the book while watching the DVD. It's a very touching and heartfelt program. I can barely help anyone pick out a book without getting teary-eyed. One soldier wanted to read but said he would not use a certain book because his friend had read that book for a UTR then was killed in action. They played the UTR recording at the guy's funeral. We do not promote UTRs as a last testament, but at least the family has this wonderful memory. Sometimes someone will say that their kid is too old for a UTR. I tell them that I did UTRs a couple of months ago for my kids: I read The Giving Tree to Leorit and Love You Forever to Bo. I don't know if my kids liked the books, but I certainly enjoyed reading to them.

The comment cards we receive are effusive: "Great program!"; "One of the best things ever."; I really enjoyed this."; "I love the opportunity to share expressions of love from so far away."; What an excellent way to connect with the kids while away."; "Thank you so much for this great gift."; etc., etc.

-0o0-

I'm currently reading Once Upon a Town, The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen, by Bob Greene. It tells about the 12,000 citizens of a small town in Nebraska who welcomed and fed over 6,000,000 (yes, that says six million) traveling troops during World War II. I'm only on page 52 and so far have used two paper towels (equivalent of 4-6 tissues). Kind of makes me want to be a part of something wonderful and patriotic like that . . . oh yeah, I am a part of something wonderful and patriotic like that. The book was sent to me by Karen Kearney, one of the "Pool Girls." Pool Girls Karen and Alexis Lewis send care packages of candy, cookies, etc. on a regular basis. The troops like the cookies, trail mix, brownies so much that some have vowed to move only to towns that have Trader Joe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment