Saturday, May 23, 2009

Halfway to Home - Grill Yourself Silly Party (Part 2)

























































































































The reason we had the party was to honor these guys who are the nicest, cutest, most helpful, delightful and considerate men on the planet. Did I mention every single one of them is adorable? I thought it would be fun if they could wear civvies and they did have permission to do so, although some never did get that message, others did not have anything appropriate to wear or felt uncomfortable in civilian clothes. When the MEB first arrived Sgt. O was so grateful to me for something that I did, he said, "Man, if I weren't in my uniform I would hug you." (Marines always wear their uniforms; they don't ever go around camp in their PTs like the other services do.) Now I hug Sgt. O and many of his squad almost every day. These guys have totally loosened up at the USO and shown themselves to be the gentlemen that they are. Let me tell you a little more: One has a wife with a cyst that needs to be removed; she will probably require a hysterectomy. She's 23 years old. A few days ago one needed some alone time in the UTR room. He had just found out his close cousin committed suicide. One (who is now 21 years old) helped raise his younger brother and sister before he entered the Marine Corps. His brother was addicted to crystal meth and has since died.

You should know that most of these guys are 19-22 years of age and for some this is their 2nd or 3rd tour. A group of them is on the way to Afghanistan later this year. I took tons of pictures and included a few. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on Facebook, I will put up the whole pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment