Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nuff'nStuff, Only Hotter




My thermometer arrived. We're going to hang it up at the USO so people can take pictures. The day this was taken the temperature showed 127 degrees when the thermometer was laying on the table. Since the photo with Oneal and Majzer (taken on Majzer's birthday and last day at Camp Virginia) is in the shade, the temperature shows only 120, but believe me, it was HOT that day. I've stopped wearing my gold necklace because when I'm outside the chain (which is very fine) heats up and burns my neck. Bettie told me the thermometer showed 140 degrees the next day. I cannot wait for summer.

Someone messed with the AC in the ladies' latrine. It was at least 140 degrees in there. More like a sauna than a bathroom. Now there's a note telling people not to touch and the AC seems to be working, so it's only about 90 today.

One of my TC4ME Marines told me they had been given an exit target date of June 18th. "That's easy for me to remember," I said, "it's Paul McCartney's birthday." Well, you guessed it, the kid says, "Who's Paul McCartney?" If I had more strength and flexibility I would have turned my walker around and smashed him with my cane.

For some reason the bright light that shines near our bunk is collapsed. (See picture 1.) The light is located between me and the bathroom and is now something of a hazard. I always keep my eyes down when I walk since it's really bright during the day, and there's sand blowing, and I don't want to trip on the rocks. That means I usually look up just as I'm about to run smack dab into the contraption. (See picture 2.)

Although Steve, our new Center Manger has been around for about a week, his official start date is June 1. We're having a meeting at 0700 that morning. I should have lots to report; if not, I'll make up some stuff.

Berry and I are moving into B+ territory so now I can mention him by name in my blog. We're having scheduling issues though, with him working midnight to noon every day and me working either noon to 2000 or 1600 to midnight. Four hours is not enough.

Go Lakers!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Bon-bon, I feel your pain. A 23-year old (ex-) office assistant didn't know who Mary Tyler Moore was. Needless to say, he didn't know she used to have a tv show either. Did this Marine at least know who the Beatles were?

    Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, somewhere in the back of his mind he remembered that his mom liked the Beatles and he was pretty sure they were a singing group. Time marches on. Love to you. xxxooo bon

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI BONNIE,

    I sent you a post the other day, however, I do not know if you received it or not. I'm new at this. I broke both of my ankles (on 5/23) and am in a wheelchair. Lisa is taking over the Tues. night meetings for now. I think I will be back to work in about 8 weeks. I haven't checked out the blog before because I have been so busy. But, now I have time. So I will keep checking the blog and seeing what is going on over in Kuwait, besides the heat.
    Take Care,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete