Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hydrating and Decorating






Since I've been here over 10 weeks, I figured it was finally time to get a chair so someone/anyone had a place to sit in my room. After much contemplation and finding that I had a choice of one, I finally went to the PX to put down my $10 and pick up a canvas picnic chair. I set it on the counter for Josh to ring up and the PX generator crashed. Obviously he couldn't ring up my purchase. So after all this time, I finally decided to buy a chair and then I had to wait until the next day to pick it up.

The next day I was hanging my murals and I figured that I could not stand on my chair to reach the high spots, so I went outside and "procured" a plastic chair from one of our picnic* areas. After I cleaned the thing up enough to bring in my room, I decided I liked it more than the canvas chair. Then a couple of days after that I saw a cane chair just hanging outside waiting for me. It was free-ninety-nine!! So for ten weeks I had no chair; now I have three. The canvas chair is rolled up in the closet. Although Curious George misses Berry feeding him cereal on the plastic chair (See "Life is Good"), that chair now looks lovely on Bettie's side of the room. George adores his new cane chair.

*For lack of a better description. One of the places with stacked chairs and maybe a table. There are no grills, benches, playgrounds or other amenities.


2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2=2


My back has been giving me trouble since I've been here. Lately it's gotten significantly worse.** I thought it was standing on concrete for 8 hours shifts; I thought it was my bed; I thought it was old age; I thought it was the dry desert air; I thought it was arthritis. Then two days ago my back was fine. I figured out that for that one day I had not brought water into the USO. The water bottles come in boxes and I had been bringing in 8-12 boxes every day to stock the USO refrigerator.^^ About 2 weeks ago we got a new water supplier. The bottles are bigger (.55 litre instead of .500) and there are 28 bottles in each box instead of 24. Also, the boxes are stacked higher. (See picture here and in previous post entitled "Mating Season.") Consequently, the boxes are more difficult to pick up and heavier to carry. So I finally figured out that my back was sore because I was carrying all these cases of water. No more carrying boxes. No more sore back. (Go ahead and say "duh!" It's ok with me.)
**Last night my back hurt so bad that I took 3 Advil and 2 Ambian before I went to sleep. Berry came over. Bettie answered his knock at the door and woke me up. Apparently I had a conversation with Berry. I don't remember any of this. That's the first and last time I take Ambian.
^^Yes, often the troops would see me bringing in water and they would help, but not always.

1 comment: