Saturday, May 23, 2009

USO at Camp Buehring

I visited Camp Buehring and their USO for the first time on Friday, 22nd May. The USO was closed when we were there, and of course it's impossible to compare a USO that I visited for 10 minutes with the one where I've worked for 14 weeks, but it's obvious the two USOs are very different. The USO at Camp Buehring's is huge. They are extremely organized and very well stocked. They have 24 computer terminals (we have 6), 12 phones (we have 4) and Lenolium floors (we have warn carpet that is long-past due to be replaced). They have many more visitors than we do, but, if I remember correctly, their hours are 1400 - 0200 (ours are 1000 to 0600). They are bright and open; we keep the lights dim and calm; we are casual and relaxed. Knowing me, I'm happiest at the USO where I am assigned and working, and indeed I am glad to be part of our homey, comforting and enveloping atmosphere. One of the troops told me that the USO at Camp Buehring seems like the airport; the USO at Camp Virginia is more like my living room.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie! I hope I did this right and you will receive my message. I broke both of my ankles on Sat. night and had to have surgery. I am sitting in a wheelchair with my legs elevated. So I will have some time to spend on the internet. Your Tues. night meetings have been going great, however, I will be out for at least 8 weeks. Jim gave the meetings to Lisa M. in the meantime. I am just typing a short message this time because I am not sure how this all works. So if you do get the message and I am doing this right, I will keep in touch this way and can keep you updated on what's happening in L.B.
    Take care,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!! how did you break BOTH ankles? That's horrible. Only good thing is now you can e-mail me. When you write like this I get the message, but everyone who looks at my blog can see our messages too. I think that's about 200 people. You (or anyone else) can contact me at bonahb@gmail.com or bonnie.bachenheimer@kyl.com. If you didn't want to exercise, you could have just said "no." Geeze.

    ReplyDelete