Friday, May 15, 2009

The Haps

















Happy to report on lots more of nothing. It's been so busy at the USO that we don't have time to interact with the troops. Write the name on the computer, call the name, take ID cards, hand out games and controls, distribute movies, load the water, make coffee, pop popcorn. I'm not complaining about all that needs to be done, because the soldiers are definitely enjoying our services, it's just that we are so busy there's hardly time to mingle. SSgt. B says it's going to be that way for at least another week.

Finally took the soap situation into my own hands. Get it? If the soap dispensers in the bathroom would work, you could push the plunger up and the soap would come out. A couple of months ago someome decided to change
to a thicker soap, so now nothing comes out when you push the plunger. It's suspicious to me that none of the maintenance people notice that they never have to refill the dispensers. Anyway, I just got so disgusted that I unscrewed one of the dispensers and now I can just pour the soap into my hands. I need to take it off a couple of times a day because the maintenance people keep putting the dispenser back on, but at least now my hands get washed. (They are never clean; too much sand.) The white shower curtains were replaced with these seascape blue things. Unfortunately the plastic is really light, so if you're in the shower, every time someone opens the door to come into the bathroom the plastic globs itself on to your wet body and sticks there. I'm convinced that male military officers are in charge of the ladies' bathrooms.

In addition to all of the new bunkers we are getting more and bigger barriers. The ones that were about 2 feet high have been replaced with barriers that are about 5 feet high and the ones that were 5 feet high have been replaced with 8 foot barriers. The barriers that were out have been moved in and the ones that were in have been moved closer. I imagine Camp Virginia viewed from the air it looks like a maze. From here inside it just looks like concrete walls everywhere.

The word for today: Commencement. My Baby Boy Benjamin (aka "Bo") is graduating from USC Friday morning. I hope to watch the ceremony on-line tonight. Bo is the first male from the Bachenheimer and/or Rodriguez family to graduate from college. I'm so proud of who he is, what he's done and the way he's done it, that I'm about to burst.

Planning a couple of excursions. "Respite" for a few days in the UK with Bevie at the end of July. Maybe see some of my British buddies who are leaving now and should be back in the UK by then.

R&R Mediterranean cruise on NCL from Barcelona with Leorit and Bo (and maybe Bo's friend) at end of August. R&R Turkey/Greece with Toby and my friend Cheryl in November/December.

Even I cannot fathom why I decided to take a self-portrait today. I'm really tired, on the cusp of a cold, it's extremely sandy and windy outside and I am desperate for a haircut. But I flatter myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment