Monday, March 2, 2009

The Emerald City - 2 March 2009

Joe took me in to Kuwait City to pick up some things for the USO. The roads seem well paved and modern, but there are a lot of accidents. Saw at least three in a 45 minute period. The sand on the road is really dangerous. It acts like water and if there’s enough, which there usually is, the cars hydroplane.

On the way we passed a lot of American restaurants. Some had the name in English, others I could tell what they were by looking at the logo:

Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Carl’s Jr., Friday’s, Applebee's, Hard Rock CafĂ©, Johnny Rocket's. The menus are similar to the menus in the States, but the prices are much higher, as is most everything in Kuwait. I saw a lot of BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, a couple of Ferraris, lots of SUVs, but no – absolutely none --- older cars. For sure I didn’t look at the other drivers as I did not want anyone to follow me home, even the guys in the Ferraris.

The grocery store was like a well-stocked Ralphs’s; lots of fruits and vegetables. They had 8 different kinds of dates; all delicious so we took some home. Parking was atrocious.

We then went to Marina Center which looks just like every mall in the US. We were there after 2200 on a Monday. I asked Joe why it was so crowded. He said it's because the people have nothing else to do. There are no clubs, etc., so they shop. The stores were mostly high-end and the prices ridiculous. The items seemed a little expensive until I realized they were in Kuwaiti Dinar (KD), not American dollars. It's about 4 dollars to 1 KD. So the merchandise is really expensive. I saw Foot Locker, H&M, a store that had only Rolex watches, Hugo Boss, Liz Clairborne, lots of jewelry stores, Claire's (?!), and stores I did not recognize. May be because we don't have them in the States or may be because I don't shop at the high-end malls. I did not see Victoria's Secret, Tiffany, Bulgari, Gucci, Louis Vitton. We got some Cinnabons and headed home through the rush hour (2300?) traffic and multiple pile-ups on the road. Joe is trying to show me the ropes so I can drive into town by myself, but that's a definite negative for now.

The USO is now open 1000 to 0800 -- 22 hours a day; We're almost ready to open and there's about 30 troops outside waiting to come in, so I guess I should sign off.

Toby, Leorit & Ariel -- I loved the phone call!
Alexis L. -- thanks for the magazines, snacks and candies!

Off to the gym and library. Hugs, kisses, love and regards to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment