Saturday, March 21, 2009

Random Thoughts, Happenings and Events - 20 March 2009

We had a St. Patrick’s Day party on March 17th. The troops played beer pong, we served Irish stew, potatoes with cabbage, green beer, chips, cookies and candies (thanks to Alexis, Kathleen and Beverly/KY&L). The celebration was loud and boisterous, everyone stayed from 1900 to past midnight. They left a mess and the latrines were trashed. I think we forgot to tell the partygoers that it was near-beer because I’d swear everyone acted like they were drunk.

They’ve put a barrier at the end of our “block,” between me and the latrine. When I stumble (no exaggeration) to the bathroom at night I have to zig/zag on the way (zag/zig) on the way back, and it’s 64 steps instead of 60. Is there no end to life’s challenge?


I ordered a really cool mural for my "apartment." It's 12' x 8.5'; a picture of a porch and the ocean. My friend asked me what my roommate thought of the mural. I guess I should tell my roommate before I put up this huge picture.

We have new USO shirts for SWA. I told Jonathan I had a bit of an issue wearing this shirt with the bright flags of Iraq, Iran, Qatar, Kuwait and Afghanistan stitched on the front. I told him I was going to take my shirt to one of the embroidery shops (two here at Camp Virginia) and have the Israeli flag embroidered at the top. ========= We had to call two teams of paramedics to revive Jonathan. When he came to, he asked me not to put the Israeli flag on anything. I guess he thinks that’s not a good idea.

I have "respite" for two days in April. Instead of going to some fancy hotel, I'm going to take April 8 and 9 to hopefully attend Passover seders at Camp Arafjahn those two days. Good timing. Send matzo, macaroons, haggadot, candies, etc. I'll find a way to make my own kugle, tsimmis and charoset. Joe said he'd go with me and be an honorary Jew for a Day (or two).

They will do our laundry for free here. However, the laundry place is pretty far away (10 minute walk) and you need to give them 24 hours to do the laundry and when it's returned the clothes are not dirty, but they sure don't smell clean. There's also some weird Arabic markings on my sox; or maybe that says "Hanes;" it's difficult to tell. Anyway, I'm going to go back to doing my own laundry. (There's some in the dryer right now.) The machines are close, I don't need to be naked for a day and my clothes smell good. I can do one load of whites with only two socks in it if I want.


Was chatting with this guy (24 years old) while he was sitting at the computer. I asked him if he had done a UTR. He said no because his son is too young and his daughter lives in a hospital. His five year old daughter has cystic fibrosis, cannot talk because of the trach and probably will live in hospital for the rest of her short life. He showed me pictures of his kids and seems to have a great attitude. Then he told me that cystic fibrosis is hereditary and that he had the carrier gene. He said 11 days after his daughter was diagnosed his wife left him with a note taped to the TV that said, "I will never forgive you for what you've done to our daughter." His son is from a second wife who left him in October telling him that she didn't like that he was away so much [in the Army]. I know every story has two sides and I know I'm hearing the twenty minute version, but it seems this scenario is waaaayyyy too common for the military. This guy doesn't (seem to) feel sorry for himself, he's just matter of fact about the whole situation. I was eating lunch with him yesterday and one of his buddies comes by and says, "So, how are the wife and kids." OK. So that was a bit awkward. His face fell, but then he recovered. This guy is due to leave today, but we the only think I can send with him is prayers. I told him I was going to put him in my blog too (without his name). He said that was ok.

Signing off. I need to eat lunch early since I work 1400 - 2200 today and Sunday (instead of my usual 1600 - 2400). cheers; be well; take care; lots of hugs; send prayers for our troops.

xxxooo bon

3 comments:

  1. Bon, I don't know genetics really well, but if I remember correctly, both parents have to have the CF carrier gene for the child to get it - it's a recessive characteristic. So it's not just the poor soldier's fault. His "wife" should get a brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Thanks to Tim for forwarding your blog address. So wonderful to hear your "voice". What an amazing adventure you are having and what lovely humans you are meeting. Need to get a care package out to you. Can you post the address?? xoxox, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love, love all of the comments. Address is:

    Bonah Bachenheimer
    USO Southwest Asia
    Camp Virginia - Kuwait
    APO AE 09327

    I've been receiving boxes, deliveries, letters, et al., so the address works.

    Love to you and all.
    bon

    ReplyDelete