Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Reasons - 19 March 2009

Cliché alert – cliché alert – cliché alert – cliché alert – cliché alert – cliché alert.

Almost every day someone will ask me why I’m here working at the USO in Kuwait. I tell them that I was volunteering at the USO @ LAX and really enjoyed it, so I decided to request an 18 month leave from my job(s), take a 50% pay cut, sublet my apartment, return my car and fly to a country where I (Jew/sabra) am definitely not welcome to share a small hut in 130 degree summer heat because I thought it would be fun. I’ve been at Camp Virginia exactly five weeks, and to tell you the truth, it is fun. The days are pretty much all the same, except my once a week day off when I have time to do laundry. We are a small group of USO employees on a military base with 80% of the personnel changing daily. We get our limited world view from AFN/CNN and the Stars and Stripes. So what’s to like?

I finally figured out that I liked USO @ LAX and I like USO at Camp Virginia so much because there is an abundance of humility. Most of us are here because we are doing something for someone or something else. We are not goody goodies (at least I’m not) and I’m sure every single person at Camp Virginia has his or her own personal motive for being in the military or working at the base. Because or despite that, it seems to me there is an incredible overflow of humble people. Even the TCNs who empty the latrines, rake the rocks, fix the lights and clean the tents seem to be in a grateful mode. They are all genuinely friendly and gracious – and no Jordan, they are not just nice to me because I’m female.

I love getting boxes from home and sharing with the troops. It is so heartwarming to watch the soldiers when we make popcorn for them or deliver candies, snacks and cookies. Every one of them seems so happy, elated and overwhelmed. It’s beyond the troops’ comprehension that they

are doing us the service. They are so delighted with the support. Every time someone asks me how much something costs (use of the phones or Internet, calling cards, X-Box or Play Station game time) and I tell them that everything in our building is free, I see a half second of incomprehension; it takes them that long to catch on that the USO is for their benefit.

It’s amazing to me how much our troops are doing for us, how proud they are to serve their country, how much love they have for their post, how young and innocent most of them are and how much they truly do not realize their huge contributions.


I wish you could see what I see. Cases in point:

1. Almost everyone says a silent prayer before eating.

2. Alexis, Kathleen (USO@LA
X) and Beverly/KY&L sent Girl Scout cookies. I gave a few boxes to some marines who were playing dominoes. They were so eager to choose their favorite kind, i.e., peanut butter, purple ones, Thin Mints, lemon cookies; every one of the 5 got their own box. You’d have thought I bought them each a car! They protected the cookies like a beloved friend, not wanting to let go and very reluctantly sharing. They could not tell me enough how much they loved, supported and were grateful to the Girl Scouts and how happy they were to have GS cookies. They couldn’t stop talking about how wonderful the Girl Scouts are.

3. I was restocking the water fridge. One 19-year-old came over to tell me in his charming Southern accent, “This USO is wonderful. Thank you ma’am. I really appreciate everything you do for us.” (The feeling is mutual sweetheart.)

4. The USO was closed yesterday for a very much needed computer upgrade. I went over to get some movies and when I stepped out the front door there were 7 soldiers who were very upset that we were not open. They explained they were in camp for only one day and really wanted to check out our USO. One guy said to his buddies, “I guess I’ll have to buy myself a shaving razor.” I went inside and got two bags of snack mix, two bags of blue corn Doritos, 7 USO courtesy kits (with shampoo, lotion, lip balm, etc.), 7 disposable razors and 7 beers (non-alcoholic). When I brought them out the guys they said things like, “Thank you ma’am. We love you. You cannot know how much we really appreciate this.” They also said, “You are our hero.” I told them that they had that part back ass-wards. Amazing that it takes so little to make so many people so happy.

5. This afternoon I put out a bowl of chips for some guys playing Scrabble. One jokingly asked, “Do you have any dip ma’am?” I emptied 4 bags of ranch dressing into a small plastic bowl (left over from the party two days before) and put it on the table. The pandemonium was incredible. Again, you’d have thought I bought each of these guys a car.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your insight Bonnie! I, too, am a volunteer at the LAX USO and considering a position overseas (when one is available). I read your blog almost every day to see what it's like to be in your shoes... one day I hope to be in them. Hug some soldiers for me, okay? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much. who is proudCAangel??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry... that's my name on the Soldiers' Angels forums. I edited my blog when I became a team captain for one of SA's baking teams. My name is Cindy and I just started volunteering at LAX in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool. Maybe I'll see you here. I keep hugging soldiers. I hope they are the ones you want me to hug. If not, I'll keep hugging.

    Thanks Cindy.

    ReplyDelete