Thursday, March 26, 2009

Interesting People

There's one really tall guy who came into the USO for a few days last week. I kept hearing him say to people, "Six-nine. Yeah. Hahahaha." I told him he should get a button that says, "I'm six nine; yes, I played basketball in college. The air is fine up here." He's too nice a guy to do that though. He's a lawyer with JAG. I told him he should look us up when/he gets to Long Beach but he doesn't particularly like Jones Act.

As I was leaving the USO last night a marine was walking next to me and asked me where the bathrooms are located. I told him I was going there (some things never change) so we walked together. (The latrines are about 50 feet from the USO.) During that short walk (30 seconds or so) he told me he was excited to be on his way back to the states but that he was going home to get a divorce. A week after he left his wife started cheating on him, they tried to work it out, but now she is pregnant (not his kid). They already have one kid and have (had) been married less than a year. I still cannot get over that his story is so common. You don't hear on the news about the horrible toll that war is taking on families; not just those who are physically injured, but emotionally defeated as well.

Stepping off my soap box; taking a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment