Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Double AAs, AJs and Holidays




On Monday, my day off, Joe and I drove to Camp Arafjan. The Passover seders are being held at AJ and since Joe didn't know the directions from Camp Virginia to AJ we decided to do a dry run. In addition to being much larger, AJ is very different from Camp Virginia in that it has permanent buildings, paved roads, a swimming pool, indoor plumbing, and numerous essential administrative facilities. We found the chapel in Sector 1, then SSgt. Timothy Wiggins (my new best friend) took us to the chapel annex in Sector 6, where the seders will be held. We did not meet with the chaplin/Rabbi. I was going to cook my famous and fabulous tsimmos, kugel and date charoset, but the rabbi told me that I'd have to buy new baking dishes, new utensils (knives, cutting boards and peelers) and new appliances (food processor/chopper and crock pot) if I wanted to cook. He also told me not to leave the food with the DFac people so they didn't touch it while it was baking or put something non-pesadich in it. So anyway, we're having MREs and I'm not cooking. I think this person may be a little too concerned with the letter of the law and not enough concerned with the spirit of the holiday. I also think that if someone is a very strict religious Jew that person is probably not in the American military. Am I pissed? Uh, yeah, a little. Hopefully after I meet the chaplin/rabbi or attend the sederim I'll be able to remove this little rant.

UPDATE: I am happy to report that I was 100% wrong. The rabbi is an absolute doll, the seder was a rockin' good time and we witnessed a rendition of Chad Gadya that will be spoken about for generations to come. Tsimmis cooking in Joe's room now. Another seder tonight. More to report soon.

On Tuesday morning the USO had its first annual NCAA championship game party. I don't remember whose idea it was, but somewhere along the line Kristine and I became the sponsors. Since the pre-game started at 0300 local time, that's when our party started. We had near beer, nachos, Subway, chips, cookies, etc. and a game pool with half time and end of game winners. (Each got an iPod!) I did the flyer (some things never change) and then Command Cell sent it by mass e-mail to everyone at Camp Virginia. Starbucks sponsored and had my flyer blown-up and posted on their door. That's the first time one of my notices has been enlarged; pretty cool. We had 80 people watching the game on our cinema screen and large TV. Everyone had fun and the party was definitely a success.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sydnee and John: I miss you guys A LOT. Hope things are going well (at least better).
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete