Friday, April 17, 2009

Little Boxes

I’ve received quite a few CARE packages. I can to tell you again and again how grateful we are. First of all, I get to look like a big shot. It’s obvious to everyone as I’m opening this huge box that I am a very important and loved person. However, when we (USO staff and troops) see what’s inside, all heck breaks loose. I hide the microwave popcorn in three different places because we always run out. One person will ask for popcorn and by the time it’s finished popping and the aroma has wafted for a few seconds, there are six more wanting popcorn and then the requests multiply exponentially. (Is that the correct word? Does it work in this paragraph?) Anyway, the popcorn is always a huge hit. I put the candy out immediately so that I don’t eat all of it. We got at least 10 pounds from Alexis the other day. I kept refilling the tray at the front desk and between 1600 and 0600 the next morning ALL of the candy was eaten. The troops just love it. I see them coming back numerous times to get handfuls or cupfuls; they’re not shy. The guys and gals get possessive with the Girl Scout cookies. Someone will see their favorite and grab a sleeve or the whole box. Then they come back looking for more. They also love the beef jerky, chips, snacks, fruit leathers, GoRP, nuts, brownies, etc., etc. Snacks are definitely a luxury; the troops say that having snacks makes them feel “normal.”

I drew a crowd when I opened the toiletries from KY&L. The water here is sort of icky, so it’s difficult to find anything that smells fresh. Even the laundry coming directly out of the washer/dryer and people coming out of the shower don’t smell clean. The soaps, gels and lotions were snatched up before I could put them in a drawer. (I took a couple too.) It’s nice to smell like a luxurious hotel and not stale desert water.

Thank you again to Karen Kearny, Leslie Jenkins, Leorit Rodriguez, Alexis Lewis, Amy Abrams, Beverly Bingham and everyone at Keesal, Young & Logan. I hope to heavens I didn’t forget anyone. If it did, I will update immediately. Your kindness and generosity are very, very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment