Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Too Much of Nothin'









OK, so I just wrote for 10 minutes and then the freakin' Internet went down and I lost everything. ajajaughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! The Internet has basically been down for two days, but it's NOT THAT FRUSTRATING! aughgersfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Not too much going on here. If you are one of the people who think I am making a sacrifice, you might want to read this section twice. I'm basically on an 18 month vacation. In my off hours I've been watching TV and movies. Saw one show from the current season of Rescue Me (I forget how good it is), three complete seasons of Entourage (I'm ready for more), watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall (much cuter than I expected), Marley & Me (I did not cry; I have dust in my eyes), Step Brothers (hilarious!), College (glad I saw that after my kids graduated) and Quantum of Solace.

Weather has been hot during the day (108+) and lovely at night. Sometimes we get our dinner to go and eat it outside on a picnic table.

For a couple of days it was really slow at the USO, then Camp Virginia had an influx of Marines, then Navy, then Army so we were very busy, now back to normal. Last Friday I asked one of the guys how he was and he replied, "I'm just swell." so "swell" became the word of the day. Our Words of the Day since then have been "modification," "perspire," and "enthusiasm." I haven't been to work yet, so I don't know what the word will be today. I'll decide when I get there. Everyone must use the Word of the Day in a sentence.

Yesterday I finally put up the murals I had bought months ago. I found out we are not allowed to alter our rooms permanently (makes sense) so instead of using wallpaper paste, Berry and I put these up with two-sided tape, Scotch tape and thumb tacks. Considering, I think they look pretty good.

One of the Army guys (Spc. Troy Yocum) is trying to break a record for the Guinness Book. He will be playing the drums on stage for five days straight, trying to reclaim his own former record that was recently broken. He gets 5 minutes break every hour and the whole thing needs to be recorded for verification.
Update: Spc. Yocum's attempt was not successful. I didn't see it, but from what I understand, after 32 hours he got up to take his 5/60 break and his leg collapsed out from under him. They took him to the TMC. He's OK, but the Guinness Book will have to wait.

I had some weird hours because a lot of people have been out. Joe is on R&R for 18 days. He works graveyard, so I covered 1800 to 0200 last Thursday and Friday. Don't know if I'm built to work until 2:00 a.m. Kristine took her respite in Aman, Jordan for 3 days; Bettie (my roommate) is now in Dubai for 3 days. Soon Jordan will take an 18 day tour of Europe. I'm still trying where to meet my family; some place we can get to without spending too much $$ and where I don't have to fly through Dubai.

Guess it's time to go to lunch. I wish I had more interesting or exciting events to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment