Thursday, April 9, 2009

Beauty is the Beast

Went to get my hair cut at the "spa" next to the Radisson. When I went on Wednesday to make an appointment for Thursday there were three women walking out. They were all covered head to toe in black; no eyes, no hands, no nothing; just black. probably not a good sign at a beauty salon.

The lady who cut my hair (Miriam) was really nice, even though she was from Iran (oops). I asked her if she cut a lot of curely hair; she told me she doesn't understand what curely means. There were a lot of women and young girls in the salon, many of whom were having their make-up done. I don't know if this was for a wedding or other special occasion, but I'm telling you they looked frightening. One girl came into the place where I was having my mani/ped (2 hours!). She was about 13 years old, had long stright BLACK hair, huge RED lips and about 1/3" of BLACK liner all around her eyes. Some of the ladies had glitter around their eyes. They all had powdered faces, necks, chests and arms with powder all over their clothes. It must be a tradition and I'm sure it's beautiful to them and/or their men, but with those faces around me I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Passover Bon-bon. Did you have an orange on your Seder plate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did. I told Joe the orange story in the car after the first night, so he brought an orange. I told the tradition at the second seder. No one had heard it, but the rabbi said he would tell his wife and he's sure there will be an orange on their family seder plate for the rest of eternity. Happy Easter and love to you. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete