Saturday, April 11, 2009

Traditions



Three times every day we hear a bugle call played over the loudspeaker. Reveille, the wakeup, is played at 0600 every morning. If the flags had been lowered the night before, this is when they would be raised. At Camp Virginia, the flags fly 24/7, so it’s only the signal to get out of bed. Unfortunately there is no snooze for Reveille. Even with our window open a little, sometimes I sleep through it. I’m amazed when that happens since it’s pretty loud and very persistent.
At 1700 every afternoon is Retreat or Colors. It’s supposed to be the time when the flags are lowered. At that time all personnel come to attention and/or salute facing the flags; traffic stops. It’s interesting to see guys just hanging out and when Colors starts to play they all come to attention and become soldiers for a couple of minutes; when it’s over they go back to being guys hanging out. I don’t like to be outside during Colors because (like everyone else) I must stop what I’m doing, but then I just sort of stand there facing the flags feeling awkward.
At 2300 every night is Taps. I usually hear it (like I did just now), even if I’m inside or working at the USO. Taps signals lights out. Of course we all recognize taps as sad since it’s also used at funerals, wreath-laying and memorial services. Again, everyone (outside) stops what they’re doing. I don’t know if we’re supposed to face the flags so I usually just stand still and bow my head.

===================================

Inside the entry to our DFac is a POW/MIA table. I’ve seen it, but never really noticed it until the rabbi talked about these tables at the seder. The tables are at every military function where a meal is served. According to what I found on the Internet: It’s a small round table, set for one symbolizing the frailty of one prisoner, alone against the suppressors; The tablecloth is white, symbolic of the purity of intentions to respond to the call to arms; The empty chair leaning against the table represents the person who is not present; The salt shaker or salt on the plate reminds us of the tears of the family; The single red rose in a vase represents the blood shed in sacrifice; The yellow ribbon around the vase reminds us of those awaiting the POW/MIA’s return; The slice of lemon represents the bitter fate of the POW/MIAs; The glass is empty/upside down because the POW/MIA is unable to toast with us; The candle is for the light of hope we keep in our hearts and to illuminate the way home; The hats represent the various military branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment